Get to Know the Muscadine
If you are not from the southeastern United States, you may not have ever heard of Muscadines. This grape varietal is native to North America and can be found as far North as North Carolina/Tennessee and as far west as East Texas. They thrive in hot and humid climates and are easy to grow. Because of their thick skins, Muscadines are resistant to a number of diseases and pests that often afflict other grape varieties.
What makes them different than other grapes are that they have 40 chromosomes, which is two more than other grapes. Because Muscadines thrive in areas that would kill most European grapes, they are full of nutrients and antioxidants that other grapes do not have. They are also the only grape that contains ellagic acid which studies have shown to have anti-cancer and tumor fighting properties. As a result, when Muscadines are made into wine they have the same benefits as other red wines but just better. Some of those benefits include:
1. Boosts Heart Function and Promotes a Health Heart
2. Reduces Cholesterol Levels
3. Regulate Blood Pressure
4. Boosts Immune System
For centuries southerners have used Muscadines to make jam, jelly and wine. Cades Cove Cellars celebrates the heritage of East Tennessee and the Great Smoky Mountains by making four different Muscadine wines. Next time you are in the area stop by and try one of our award winning Muscadine wines and learn why they are much loved in the south!
Cades Cove Cellars Muscadine Wines
1. Semi Sweet White Muscadine – A non traditional version of our very popular dessert wine. All the health benefits with just the right amount of sweetness.
2. Sweet White Muscadine – A sweet dessert wine made from Carlos Muscadines. Packed with loads of antioxidants, this is one white wine that is as good for you as any red wine!
3. Sweet Red Muscadine – Muscadines provide the most health benefits possible in a wine and our sweet dessert wine is sure to please! Loaded with disease fighting antioxidants and a taste that is true to nature.
4. Smoky Mountain Sunrise – A sweet dessert wine made from a blend of Vidal Blanc and Red Muscadine grapes. Similar in taste to Icewine, this wine can stand on its own as a dessert or pairs well with fruit dishes.